Wednesday 18 May 2011

Wildlife Update...

On Sunday it was a bird. Today saw the next chapter in my kittens' careers as wildlife enthusiasts. Furretti was stretching out on the carpet this evening in a very kittenish and playful manner. I then saw what she was stretching over towards - a big stag beetle. She patted it a few times, and I assume she got her paw nipped, because she started dancing around it.

I'm afraid that I didn't stop to take a photo. Beetles are rather too good at escaping into little corners. I disposed of it. And yes, I know that stag beetles are a protected species... but only their habitats (if larvae are found on a development site, for example) and it's illegal to trade in them.

Anyway, the adults don't live long, and often die shortly after mating. Cats are, it seems, a common predator of stag beetles. The beetles also get squashed by cars. Oh well...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...