Thursday 7 July 2011

Success... (Possibly!)

Monsignor Furretti does not appear to have used the litter tray for a few days. She did go and kick the litter around a bit the last time I changed it - I can tell because it's in a neat pile to one side of the tray - and she may have peed in it so as to mark it as "hers," but she hasn't deposited anything more noxious.

She has been eating well, so, unless she is monumentally constipated, I can probably assume that she now goes out into the garden to do the necessaries...

This is a great relief to me. as I was beginning to wonder whether I should invest in a gas mask.

I suspect that the stag beetle hunting season is now over for this year. Either that or stag beetles are finally extinct in south-east London. Monsignor Miaowrini appears to have turned her attention to mice... (I'm hoping that blackbird and pigeon are off the menu for the time being!) Furretti doesn't appear to bring stuff home - though she's happy to play with whatever Miaowrini drags in.

I know a lot of people say that their cats bring them dead rodents as "presents." Sylvester certainly did, and he even brought me the occasional live offering. I thought Miaowrini was doing the same thing (only she doesn't seem to kill her prey) and would do my best to rescue her captives. It would appear that my swiping of her trophies has not gone down well... the last two times Miaowrini brought a mouse home, she took one look at me approaching, promptly picked the mouse up and ran off with it back out through the catflap.

Strangely enough, I don't feel inclined to upbraid her for her selfish attitude...

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It sounds as if things are going nicely according to plan. Sorry for my little snit the other day. It will never happen again. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stuff. Now our Vetlepus still sometimes comes in apparently for the sole purpose of using the litter tray. She's obviously concerned with keeping the neighbourhood litter free.

We don't know if she's brought any rodents in lately but we are slightly suspicious. There was an incredibly tiny black mouse skittering about on the floor the other day, unable to make it out the open veranda door. It was so tiny, my mum had at first thought it was a large insect. Now, the fact that it was unable to make it out the veranda door does not necessarily mean it was unable to make it in that way on its own, as the access is more mouse friendly than the exit presenting somewhat less of a mouse precipice to be tackled. However, it does at least explain why Vetlepus was sitting starring at a loose board at the bottom of the bookcase earlier in the evening.

margaret said...

All legs and tail - gorgeous! You may be right about the decimation of the stag beetle population in south-east London, mine have certainly managed to wipe out the entire shrew population of south-east Edinburgh. I need to get better at doing a mouth check before I let them in, decomposing mouse or shrew or whatever is not pleasant and it always takes me ages to find the remains :(

Just a Girl said...

I enjoy reading your blog and particularly enjoy reading about your cats antics! I thought you and your other readers might enjoy reading the interview I did with Pushkin, the Oratory cat who sprang to fame when he met the Pope last year. He is definitely another cat with character, please post a link if you think it will be of interest.

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2011/07/pushkin-oratory-cat-who-met-pope.html

Mulier Fortis said...

Just a Girl - your post has already been advertised via a comment on another (more recent) post... It's a very good interview, but, in view of the blanket advertising (the identical comment has been sent to very many other blogs) I decided not to bother putting up yet another post saying the same thing.

Furretti and Miaowrini have territorial rights on this blog as far as kitty posts go...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...