Saturday 9 July 2011

Ad Multos Annos, Fr. Jonathon...

Today I was privileged to attend the Ordination to the Sacred Priesthood of Fr. Jonathon Routh at Our Lady, Help of Christians, Folkestone.

It was a wonderful occasion. I had a brilliant vantage-point from which to take a few photos (I had been asked to sing the Ave Maria at Communion, and it was easier to stay up in the organ loft.) Part of the Sanctuary was out of my line of sight, but I think I got a few pretty good shots, a selection of which are shown here. The rest will (eventually) find their way onto my Flickr account.

First of all, the candidate for Ordination is called and presented, with the Rector of St. John's Seminary, Monsignor Jeremy Garrett, declaring that he had been found worthy for service as a priest...


The promise of obedience to the Ordinary, Archbishop Peter Smith...


The Litany of the Saints...


The laying on of hands...


Fr. Roger Nesbitt then invested Fr. Jonathon with stole and chasuble, which had been brought up by Fr. Jonathon's parents...


Fr. Jonathon's hands are anointed with the oil of Chrism...


And Archbishop Peter Smith presents Fr. Jonathon with the paten and chalice...


One of the deacons looked as if he was going to knock out the Archbishop with the thurible... despite this, the Archbishop didn't flinch at all...


Fr. Jonathon told me afterwards that he found the raising of the torches at the Elevation of the Host and Chalice to be extremely moving...



I'd just like to offer my congratulations to Fr. Jonathon, and to wish him many happy years of faithful service.

2 comments:

James Blythe said...

A maniple sighted on the newly ordained priest, I think?

Ad multos annos et manipulos!

Happily Catholic said...

A great day Mac! And the angel singing from the loft was heavenly ;-) It was good to catch up with you afterwards and hope that things are coming together. And following on from our discussion, Archbishop Stack seems a good man ... and a Bishop. Love & prayers form Wales

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...