Sunday 12 September 2010

The (Unfortunately) Genuine English Contribution...

Words fail me.

Well, to be more specific, polite words fail me.

In my last post, I jokingly highlighted Fr. Tim's tongue-in-cheek parody of the efforts which the Bishops of England & Wales have made to prepare for the first ever State Visit of a Pope to the United Kingdom. This is a truly historic occasion. And it seems as if the Bishops of England & Wales don't really care one way or another... The Scottish Bishops, in comparison, got themselves together to commission a beautiful new tartan, which they then presented (in tie or scarf form) to every Member of the Scottish Parliament.

Reading Fr. Ray Blake's latest post, I now see that Fr. Tim's parody was waaaaay out of line... the Bishops of England & Wales have actually produced a booklet, which explains all things Catholic for any non-Catholics who might be involved in the visit, like police or technical chaps.


Unfortunately, it assumes that these non-Catholics are complete idiots, who need to have the various events translated into "yoof speek." The idea seems to be that these non-Catholics might not know how to behave at religious events. After all, previous media coverage of the State Opening of Parliament, the various Royal Weddings, the funerals of Diana, Princess of Wales and Basil, Cardinal Hume, were all terribly marred by the bad example of the police and the technical staff, weren't they?

Telling them that the Mass is equivalent to a "gig" is hardly going to ensure reverent behaviour. The whole thing is just so awful that I want to run out and apologise. I'll probably have to, when I go to the Media Centre and see all the non-Catholic journalists, sound technicians, camera crews, etc. who are being patronised and insulted by this piece of garbage.

It's also rather interesting to see that liturgists are supposedly like performers. Perhaps that explains why we seem to have lost the concept of liturgy as the official worship of God by the Church...

13 comments:

Patricius said...

And I notice how the "Pilgrim Pass" is described as a "ticket". That seems quite accurate: I paid £25 for my pilg... I mean ticket.

Unknown said...

It does say at the end that if any questions, you should e-mail papalvisit@CBCEW.org.uk.

Like "How could you be so stupid ... ?"

Idle Rambler said...

Words fail me! This is awful, cringe-making off the scale!

Left-footer said...

The Blessed Sacrament, Holy Communion are NOT bread and wine. They WERE.

Is this what so many Catholic Martyrs died for?

Mark said...

Mac:

Seriously, I thought this was a JOKE. But I realise you're being SERIOUS.

I take particular umbrage to the second row - GIG!? GIG.....!!!??? Like Left-Footer, I say is this what Martyrs died for!

Just in case you need some Scottish patronage: S. John Ogilvie, pray for us!

pattif said...

I think this is further evidence of the strategy of using this visit to demonstrate to the general public that Catholics are no different from anyone else (we don't really believe that transubstantiation stuff - it's just a performance). Hence the drivelly 'songs' and the sulks about Mgr Marini's insistence on Latin in the liturgy. As for "liturgy as the official worship of God by the Church" - don't be silly. Didn't you know the liturgy is supposed to be about us, not God?

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a joke. I still hope it is.
If it isn't, it is clear that the (tragic) joke is the E&W hierarchy.

The "explanations" actually explain a lot of what they do, as they make abundantly clear what they think of the Mass, what "uplifting" means to them, etc.

Mala Tempora Currunt

Mundabor

Anonymous said...

I hope this will turn out to be some kind of horrible mistake, or that it at least was not approved by any bishop personally.

When non-Catholics or not very well informed Catholics emply some of these terms, I would do my best to correct them. Hopefully very gently in those cases in which it stems from true ignorance.

It is beyond me how anyone connected with the bishops could positively encourage such words and notions being applied to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. To describe some of these words as 'similar words' is truly a travesty. They are not similar, but horrible twisted parodies that make a mockery of the Holy of Holies.

I assume that this has been done for the simple purpose of helping non-Catholics involved in the practical running of things and not for any sinister motive, but the gravest injury inflicted by this misguided move is not insult to police and technicians, nor wasted expenditure, but the (presumably unintended) insult to Our Lord and the (presumably equally unintended) scandal to non-Catholics and Catholics.

Ttony said...

You can see why I decided to keep silence, can't you!

Mrs McLean said...

Ah ha ha ha. Speaking as a member of the Press, I will very much enjoy visiting the media office on Wednesday. If anyone tells me that I should think of the Mass as a gig it will be front page.

Annie said...

So His Holiness is headlining a gig on a stage filled with artistes, all enjoying the show at which a light snack of bread and wine will be served...Oh my...

It's actually tragic.

Tancred said...

Isn't it gratuitous and perhaps deceptive to call Liturgists Artists?

Mulier Fortis said...

Well, Tancred, some people call Tracy Emin an "artist"...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...