Friday 13 August 2010

Another Blog To Add To The Roll...

There are just so many blogs that need to be followed. Even my Google Reader account is becoming unwieldy, and the lengths of my blogrolls are getting ridiculous. The problem is that I want to be able to find great stuff again, and my memory just isn't what it once was...

I shall be carrying out a cull and a reordering of the roll shortly.

In the meantime, check out the Musings of a Pertinacious Papist (though, of course, it is possible that you found him some time ago...)

It seems that he liked my Laywoman's Guide to the Usus Antiquior.

Gosh. Now there's a trip down Memory Lane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Musings of a Pertinacious Papist on my list, but didn't catch this post, nor your post of over a year ago to which he refers. Great stuff! I might well direct newcomers to it in the future.

On the question of whether a low Mass or sung Mass is better for beginners, I think it may depend a little on the person and the occasion. I was fortunate to bring two beginners (one Catholic and one non-Catholic) to a sung Mass in a beautiful old stave church in Røldal this summer, and I think the full beauty of the sung liturgy in that setting made an impression that the low Mass may not immediately have done considering the lack of experience and understanding of the old liturgy on the part of my two companions. They did not, however, come to the old liturgy as the result of growing interest in it, though, but rather because of my love for it and because I therefore took them along to that particular pilgrimage. :-) All kinds of individual circumstances may come into play, as you very wisely point out.

However, once one has attended a Mass or two, I definitely think it is best for most to attend the silent Mass for a while to get used to the structure and the 'new' (i.e. old) way of participating, and in order not to confuse aesthetic appreciation with prayerful participation.

Anonymous said...

I just realised that I wrote lack of experience down as one factor for these particular beginners....Ah, well, I am blonde after all.

What I meant was obviously more in the direction of a lack of a pronounced prior interest and much theoretical knowledge of the traditional liturgy. :-)

Oh, how I love rambling incoherently....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...