Thursday 21 July 2011

Ad Multos Annos, Fr. Ian...

On Tuesday evening I was blessed to attend Fr. Ian Vane's Silver Jubilee of Ordination Mass at English Martyrs' Church, Horley.

Here I have a slight confession to make - I hadn't realised that Fr. Ian Vane was no longer at Worthing (it can be a bit difficult to keep track of this sort of thing) but, since I don't know where Worthing actually is, that didn't make any difference. Fortunately, someone else was responsible for navigating. I just drove where I was told. It wasn't until after Mass, when one of the parishioners asked me if I was a visitor from Worthing that I realised we were somewhere else...

The style of the church was quite striking - not to my personal taste, but the Tabernacle was dead centre, which really is all that matters!











The Mass was very moving: I especially liked the torch bearers during the Canon...



Afterwards, there was a celebration in the hall. Bishop Kieran Conry (also celebrating his anniversary of Ordination) helped Fr. Ian to cut a couple of cakes - and there was a little bit of a scrum to get photos, though the cakes were moved to a more convenient spot, which helped to reduce congestion.

I've just realised that I didn't get any cake this time either...

Fr. Tim managed to muscle in on the photography...


Then, the mad axe-murderer pose, as they slice into the cake with the picture of Fr. Ian on the icing...



And then a slightly more sedate pose for the second cake...


Fr. Dominic Rolls, Fr. Hugh MacKenzie and Fr. James Clark, three great priests from the Faith Movement, were easy to round up, and willingly posed for the camera. No doubt they'll feature again on the blog when I post photos from this Summer's Session at Woldingham...


Finally, I managed to corral Fr. Ian Vane and Fr. Roger Nesbitt together for a photo - this was unbelievably difficult to coordinate, as neither wanted to interrupt the other's conversation, and no sooner was one priest ready than I found the other had been buttonholed by someone else! However, eventually...


I'd just like to finish off by offering my congratulations to Fr. Ian Vane, and to say "Ad multos annos!"

4 comments:

Genty said...

You don't know where Worthing is?
Let me help. . . . . .

Jack. I am afraid I really don’t know. The fact is, Lady Bracknell, I said I had lost my parents. It would be nearer the truth to say that my parents seem to have lost me… I don’t actually know who I am by birth. I was… well, I was found.

Lady Bracknell. Found!

Jack. The late Mr. Thomas Cardew, an old gentleman of a very charitable and kindly disposition, found me, and gave me the name of Worthing, because he happened to have a first-class ticket for Worthing in his pocket at the time. Worthing is a place in Sussex. It is a seaside resort.

Lady Bracknell. Where did the charitable gentleman who had a first-class ticket for this seaside resort find you?

Jack. [Gravely.] In a handbag.

Lady Bracknell. A handbag?

Jack. [Very seriously.] Yes, Lady Bracknell. I was in a handbag — a somewhat large, black leather handbag, with handles to it — an ordinary handbag in fact.

Lady Bracknell. In what locality did this Mr. James, or Thomas, Cardew come across this ordinary handbag?

Jack. In the cloakroom at Victoria Station. It was given to him in mistake for his own.

Lady Bracknell. The cloakroom at Victoria Station?

Jack. Yes. The Brighton line.

(The Importance of Being Ernest - Oscar Wilde).

A very nice set of pictures. Fr Vane looks far too young to be celebrating such a momentous anniversary. I add "ad multos annos" to yours.

Mulier Fortis said...

Ahhhh, silly me...

Of course, since I don't know where Sussex is, exactly, it wouldn't have helped if I had recalled this little gem.

There is rather a lot of coastline around the south of England...

;-p

Genty said...

A lot of water, too. Very wet.
:-)

Monica said...

Presumably there's a reason why the bishop of Arundel and Brighton doesn't wear the episcopal ring or pectoral cross. Maybe he doesn't see himself as wedded to his diocese and sees no need to display the Cross. Or maybe its for the same reason (whatever that is) that he never wears the episcopal zuchetto. Sad.

(I suppose he might have been in a rush and forgot to find them).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...