Monday 8 March 2010

Requiem Mass...

As this Saturday was the first in the month, we had our usual visiting schola along to sing the Missa Cantata at Our Lady of the Rosary. As it was also the anniversary of Fr. Adolph Koch, first Parish Priest of Blackfen, it was decided to celebrate a Requiem Mass for him, with Absolutions at the catafalque.

The Mass was very moving: I definitely want my funeral Mass to be in the Extraordinary Form, unbleached candles and all.

I took loads of photos with my snazzy digital camera - I didn't even try to use my mobile phone camera, as the quality of camera on the iPhone is really pants! I then arranged them all into a slide show which I set to music - Mass XVIII from Nick Gale's educational CD, as it so happens... he told me I could use bits of it for my videos, and you can order the CD from this website.

7 comments:

Dominic Mary said...

Which leads me to an interesting liturgical dubium, Mac :
A priest's coffin is put with the head to the altar, facing the people; but the Catafalque here is clearly facing the altar . . .
Fr Tim is not known for making mistakes, but I can't find anything about this arrangement in Fortescue - or anywhere else, come to that !

Mulier Fortis said...

Ummm... personally I'd blame the senior MC for that arrangement. I shall endeavour to find out more when I see him...

(heheheheheh)

Dominic Mary said...

Well, I'd certainly not blame Fr Tim . . .

But apart from my pettifogging, it does look as though it was truly splendid; and I envy you all . . . I was in a Seminar about the Conveyancing of Anglican Parsonages at that particular moment !

Zephyrinus said...

Is it too late to vote for this Mulier Fortis production in the Academy Awards ? It is wonderful and I, respectfully, congratulate you. If my new digi-camera-thingy produces half as good pictures as yours, herewith, I shall be delighted. Music is excellent, as well. Vestments weren't too bad, either. Seen the MC, yet ? (tee-hee)

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

The Requiem Mass in the EF is absolutely wonderful...I had the extreme privilege of offering the funeral rites in the EF for a great lady who died recently (first time for me)...just takes one's breath away; the texts, the music, the solemnity, all of it.
I pray this usage will return as a mainstay in the future.
Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

Why unbleached candles?. Definately a Latin Requiem Mass for me too. Please remind my family if they forget?

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

Elizabeth: Unbleached candles are a sign of sorrow and solemnity; they are also used at "Tenebrae", the Morning Offices of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. I believe they recall a very early usage when bleached candles were not available; so they are a sign of a very long Tradition, as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...