Wednesday 1 December 2010

Turning Into A Bi-Annual Rant...

I realise that it doesn't snow in the UK that often. Ok, maybe it does up in the wilds of Scotland, but not that much in South-East England... and especially not that much in Greater London (that's the 'Burbs to all my readers from over the pond!)

However...

I've checked my blog. According to the posts I've put up, we have had snow in Greater London (enough to settle properly) in April 2008, early January 2009, early February 2009, late December 2009 and early January 2010 (I mentioned it in passing but didn't actually post on it!) But, you think that we'd be getting the hang of things by now...

The Met Office were warning of severe snow at the beginning of last week. First they said it would snow in London on Thursday. Then Friday. Then Saturday... meanwhile, much of the rest of the country actually did get snow.

Finally, on Tuesday morning, we got snow...

And the entire road system went into gridlock! A journey which would normally take me 15 minutes (20 minutes if I was really unlucky) took me two and three-quarter hours. I was travelling on main roads, not side roads, and there weren't any accidents or roadworks to slow things up. It wasn't as if the traffic was even crawling along slowly... it was completely stationary.

Why is it that we cannot cope with a little bit of snow?

(We can't cope with rain, Autumn leaves, fog, or sunshine either, but snow appears to be a speciality!)

3 comments:

Ecumenical Diablogger said...

The trick, it seems is to go and pray at the abortuary when it snows, as most got there without too much trouble. See http://ecumenicaldiablog.blogspot.com/2010/12/pro-life-vigil-in-snow.html

Elizabeth said...

My sympathies. I went out this morning to clear the snow from our driveway and fell on a patch of ice, banging my lip on the handle of the snow shovel...blood on snow..and a big thick bruised lip. I should have known better, the snow melted anyway.

Zephyrinus said...

It's Global Warming, innit ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...