Saturday 25 September 2010

Bexley Deanery Mission Year...

On Friday, we celebrated the end of the Bexley Deanery's Mission Year, which also happened to be the Year of Priests. Bishop Pat Lynch, Auxiliary for the Archdiocese of Southwark, came along to Blackfen to celebrate a Mass in honour of Blessed John Henry Newman.

We did our best to "sing the Mass" rather than having the four-hymn sandwich approach - this meant that we sang the Introit, Responsorial Psalm, Alleluia, and the offertory and Communion antiphons to simple psalm tones, demonstrating what should be done at the Ordinary Form Mass. We also sang three of Newman's own hymns - Praise to the Holiest, Firmly I believe and truly and Lead kindly light - at the Offertory, Communion and at the end of Mass.

I took a few photos, but, as I was singing over by the organ, I didn't have the best of views of the Sanctuary, and my knee was a little sore, so I wasn't able to wander round taking more photos afterwards, as I usually do. I did persuade a small group to pose...


After Mass, the wonderful Blackfen UCM had provided a few nibbles and cups of tea...


A lovely way to end our Mission Year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...