Sunday 27 July 2008

Aha ! All Has Been Revealed...

When Cardinal Castrillon Hoyos celebrated a Pontifical High Mass at the throne in Westminster Cathedral, those in the know made a few comments about the lack of buskins. I had no idea what buskins were. His Hermeneuticalness, when challenged, said that they were some sort of stocking put on with the other vestments at a Pontifical High Mass... and he admitted that he'd never seen any, so couldn't describe them...

All has now been revealed! Shawn Tribe of The New Liturgical Movement has posted descriptions of buskins (ordinary and liturgical) and explanations of colour, decoration and manner of wearing them. He's even got photos!

I see that I shall have to work hard as a Womynpriest to educate my brother clerics as to the best way to avoid wrinkled stockings gathering around the ankles...

7 comments:

Paulinus said...

Not sure. I like priests to wear manly footwear. Doc Martens work best - very secure on marble sanctuaries.

It may be because I'm from Yorkshire.

the owl of the remove said...

Mac,perhaps as a 'Womnypriest' you could knit your own buskins?

Fr Ray Blake said...

They are available here,
http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=85&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

sorry can't give you a proper link, mere man that I am.
They might give your ordaining episcopessa the look of Norah Batty though.

Mulier Fortis said...

Fr. Owl, I am SHOCKED that you don't know that buskins are NOT allowed to be made of any knitted material!!!
;-p

the owl of the remove said...

But you don't follow the rubrics if you are a priestess!

Kasia said...

Don't you mean you'll educate your SIBLING clerics? :-p

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Those are the girliest shoes I've seen on the ends of a priest's legs ever.

If I get ordained, it's going to be black oxfords.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...