Monday 18 June 2007

Our Lady Of The Rosary School Fete

I live alone, and because I've taken vows I shall never have children of my own: ordinarily this would mean that I wouldn't go to the local School Fête. However, one of the great things about our Parish is that it does feel like a sort of massive extended family, so going to the Fête was a pretty major social event last Saturday...

I managed to snap a photo of Brenda Ash (in the blue jacket) who, in recognition of all she does as parish Organist and Choir Mistress, and her involvement with the school, was the Guest of Honour. I missed her opening of the Fête as I went to the wrong school entrance. John Murphy, the Headmaster, and his wife Margaret were also willing to pose!

I feel that these two ladies deserved a medal for bravery: out in the open, selling strawberries and cream. The heavens kept opening, and I didn't manage to see what their emergency procedures were like, but the bowls weren't filled with rainwater, so they must have been pretty fast on the draw!

The bottle stall is usually a popular one. I rarely win anything, but it wasn't for want of trying!! As it so happens, there was another stall with bottles of water and wine with the tops covered by plastic cups. The idea was to pick a bottle, and if it was an unopened bottle, you got to keep it. I did manage to win on that one!









Hair Spraying, tattoos (the non-permanent variety) and face painting were also popular. The ladies on the hair spraying stall tried to convince me I should go brunette for the occasion, but I was a little reluctant...

I think this was one of my favourite stalls: the crockery was real, and there was something very satisfying about trying to smash it to smithereens. Unfortunately I am such a lousy shot that there were plenty of undamaged plates left over...


Funny how men always want to play with a barbecue...


...and no Catholic event would be complete without the UCM Cake Stall !

I didn't manage to get photos of the donkey rides, the hoopla stall, the kiddies' play garden, the bar (and many, many others) because I had a burger in one hand and my winnings (bottle of wine) in the other, and holding a camera under those circumstances is a bit tricky. All-in-all, a very enjoyable afternoon!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Sounds like a ball.
:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! that is some festival the school puts on.

(Clara and I want some cake! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great day out!

Would you care to explain which vows you took? Or am i just being nosy?

God bless

Marita said...

I have some cracked/chipped crockery held back in case a plate throwing event comes to my parish. (never throw anything away if it can be of benefit to someone else!). If only I lived nearer to Blackfen!

Sounds like you had fun!

Mulier Fortis said...

Jackie - as I've said on my blog, I've taken private vows. You can find out more by checking out the main posts HERE and HERE (there is more, and if you want to read it you can find it by typing "vows" in the search box at the top of the blog)

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Ohhhhh. Donkey rides!

Reminds me of Blackpool sands.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...