Saturday 28 November 2015

Advent Preparations...

20151128_141859 I do love my parish in Margate - there is just so much happening! Two weeks ago we had the Michaelmas Fair; this afternoon saw the annual wreath-making workshop for Advent.

I'm not the most practical of people, especially when it comes to greenery - I prefer experiments which go bang and things which burn brightly, hence my career as a Science teacher. But I do love to watch people being creative, and we had that at St. Austin & St. Gregory in bucketloads! It was great fun to watch people (of all ages) get stuck in...

20151128_141526

And some of the younger participants had even dressed up for the occasion...

20151128_141313

(...well, ok, maybe they were just dressed like that anyway!)

Oasis foam rings were provided for everyone who wanted to have a go at making their own wreath, along with candles, candle-holders and greenery. Lots of greenery...

20151128_141334

Pretty baubles, gilded pine cones and other decorations could also be added. And for the dexterously-challenged, such as myself, extra wreaths were made up by the talented parish team of "flower girls" for sale after the blessing of wreaths on Sunday morning.

Kathy (in the purple jacket) told me that it was all much easier than it looked, and explained how she had been roped in to flower arranging in the parish. It sounded as if she was trying to encourage my own creative talents. Knowing that my wreath-making abilities are minimal, and being frankly far more interested in sitting around drinking tea, eating mince pies, chatting and taking photos, I had come prepared, and handed over some hard cash for one of the extra wreaths. Kay asked me if I minded baubles on my wreath. I explained that I positively welcomed baubles, but that, as I wasn't sure what my two cats would be likely to chomp, I would prefer not to have any holly berries. So I got a bespoke Advent wreath which I will collect in the morning once it's been blessed...

20151128_141347

I thought that the Advent wreath for the church looked particularly elegant...

20151128_151940

Meanwhile, the Crib was being set up in front of the Lady Altar...

20151128_155313

... and, at least until Christmas, this is what the finished Crib looks like...

20151128_155952

20151128_160016

There are a few more photos on my Flickr page. The afternoon made a very enjoyable way to prepare for Advent. I can't wait to collect my wreath tomorrow!

2 comments:

Zephyrinus said...

How absolutely lovely, Mac. A riveting Post.
A splendid way
to encourage proper awareness and
devotion during Advent.

Thank You.

And Thank You, also, for the tip about
"No Holly Berries" for the "two Puddy-Tats".

Advent is here !!!

gemoftheocean said...

Looks great. Love the wreath making custom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...