Wednesday 18 November 2009

My Name In Lights...

... Well, ok, that is way too much of an exaggeration. However, this evening saw the official launch of the book, English Catholic Heroines, edited by Joanna Bogle, for which I wrote a chapter on St. Anne Line.

It was a lovely event, held in St. Wilfred's Hall at the London Oratory. I had left my car at home in the morning, and so was able to have a glass of wine (or two) while chatting to people.

It was fascinating to meet some of the other contributors - as well as contributors to the companion volume, English Catholic Heroes.

His Hermeneuticalness was in attendance, with camera, but he was too polite to try to snap me unawares - I really do hate my photo being taken. I, on the other hand, had no such reticence...

And here is what my name looks like in print...

Even though I'm not on commission, and don't get any royalties (honest!) I recommend this book (and its companion volume) as a little stocking-filler for anyone who wants to know about the witness of faithful Catholics in this country: there are many striking parallels to our own times too!

UPDATE: I thought I better point out that there is another page to the contents list - there are actually around 21 chapters!!

12 comments:

Delia said...

Very good to see you there. I read your chapter on the way home. What an inspiring story, and told so well, with real heart!

Mulier Fortis said...

Thanks Delia, you're too kind...
*blushes*
;-)

John the organist said...

I was at Joanna's talk on Saturday, look forward to the book later. Liz.

Blanscet Hernandez Family said...

OOH! I see St. Margaret Clitherow in the table of contents! She's my patron saint. I also like St. Anne Line. Looks like a certain book is going on my wish list!!

Gabriella said...

Thank you.
Will get the book asap :)

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations, can't wait to read the book. The chapters look short enough to keep even my attention.
Looked like a good turnout too!

Deo volente said...

Mac,

I linked to this post here with a tongue in cheek comment. My site stats have doubled overnight! Amazingly, what is driving the traffic is the listing in your Blog Roll! Wow! A Star is Born!

Hearty Congratulations! I am so very happy for you!

D.v.

la mamma said...

I see Sr Andrea's a contributer too. The book sounds intriguing and yes, a possibility for Christmas. tell me, though, how does St Margaret fit into the 'English heroine' category?

Mulier Fortis said...

La Mamma - oh ye of little faith!

I assume you refer to St Margaret of Scotland rather than St Margaret Ward or St Margaret Clitherow...?
;-P

Anyway, St Margaret of Scotland was actually a Saxon lass - Aethelred the Unready was her paternal great-grandfather, Edmund Ironside was her grandfather, and her father's uncle was none other than Edward the Confessor...

I guess she qualifies!!

Mrs McLean said...

Congrats!

la mamma said...

So what you're much too charitable to say is 'more English than Scottish'. Hmmm. Not to worry - at least our male patron was 100% Scots... wasn't he? ;)

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...