Saturday 17 November 2007

A Restaurant Review To Cherish...

...but the chef will not be the one doing the cherishing...

Seriously, this is one of the wittiest restaurant reviews I have ever read. I'm almost tempted to book a table, just to see if it is really as bad as Jay Rayner makes out...

"A little over a century ago my Jewish forebears fled that part of Eastern Europe then known as the Pale of Settlement. Having eaten at Divo, described as London's first luxury Ukrainian restaurant, I now know why. It was to escape the cooking. There are many words I could use to describe the food served here, but this is a family newspaper and none of them should be available before the watershed..."

Mantilla-twitch to the Closed Cafeteria.

2 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Oh,My. When I saw 140 POUNDS for two people -- I was floored. The saddest part is that this restaurant put all the money into a misguided decor, and seemingly spent about 10 cents coming up with the recipes and service.

Hello, Captain Spaulding -- you start with good dishes and service.
Wine? Please. My grandmother would laugh.

Aside from the odd dish with caviar, Ukrainian food is really "comfort food" if done right. Unpretentious. I could kill right now for my grandmother's chicken paprikash, homemade bread (particularly the bread with a center of potatoes mixes with a slight bit of sauerkraut freshly baked with lots of fresh butter and a bit of salt. Heaven on earth to die for. Pierogies and halupkis. Fresh good sausage. What on earth were these pinheads thinking? Sounds like a restaurant designed by a big corporation with no thought as to the essentials. Namely the FOOD. Why not well made, simple dishes, at reasonable prices? Dummies.

leutgeb said...

I saw the end of a restaurant review in The Times last week which ended, Meal for 2 £250, but I did order two coffees...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...