Monday 12 November 2007

Holy Smoke...

I saw this book on Fr. Tim's blog. Thinking I could do with a little light-hearted reading matter, I went and ordered it, and then, because there was a delay in getting it from the printers or some such thing, promptly forgot about it.

I was then distracted by the arrival of Fr. William's Daughter. Having demolished that book in record time, I was just about to bemoan the fact that I was once again bereft of light reading matter, when I remembered Smoke in the Sanctuary...

...It was another unputdownable book, only this time for very different reasons. I was laughing so much: I felt I'd met so many of the characters already. And as for the dancing nuns...

If you need a little light relief, I would recommend this book. But be warned: the descriptions of liturgical dance and ecumenical services are not for the faint-hearted!

6 comments:

Brendan Allen said...

A thought just crossed my mind. If someone reads this book, they might be inspired to actually start some of the stuff described!

Mulier Fortis said...

Heheheh... started already... it's called Summorum Pontificum !

Brendan Allen said...

Er, sorry Mac, I should have explained myself a bit better. I meant somebody might get the inspiration to try some of the "other" stuff described in the book, such as the dancing nuns, or the group of "musicians" performing at Mass. . .

Mulier Fortis said...

Heheheheh... I take it you haven't read the book, then? Believe me, the descriptions of that "other" stuff were enough to induce nightmares...

Fr Justin said...

I've always wanted to write a novel called Incense and Insensibility.

Brendan Allen said...

Actually Mac, yes I have read the book. And yes, a lot of the book did make me laugh. But I am paranoid, so in the spirit of Murphy's Law, I think it is possible that some people who read it will be inspired to have a go at all the "dancing nuns" and other funny business. Not what the author, yourself, or myself would like to see in church, but you never know . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...