Monday 21 April 2014

Photo Editing...

At the beginning of the year my phone was due for an upgrade. I decided that I was getting too old to squint at a tiny screen, and opted for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which is large, but not excessively so. I had been very happy with the camera on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and was unsure as to what improvements they could have made. I think I take pretty good photos (albeit of the point-and-click variety) and so at first I didn't bother too much with the many editing options on the phone itself.

However, I've photographed pretty much all of the main celebrations at Blackfen, and I thought I should play around with the camera settings a little more. Two weeks ago I posted a photo of the Sanctuary at Our Lady of the Rosary, Blackfen, which I had edited to look as if it was a framed pencil sketch. Several people commented on how much they liked it, and this has encouraged me to experiment a little more. Maundy Thursday provided me with a few good shots...

2014-04-17 21.09.36-1

2014-04-17 21.41.01-1

2014-04-17 22.19.17-1

Not all of the photos I took were suitable for the pencil-sketch treatment - too much "background noise" in some of them meant that they didn't quite seem to work. I decided to play around with my phone's "vintage" setting for Good Friday...

2014-04-20 21.17.27

2014-04-19 03.30.20

2014-04-20 21.15.45

Finally I took a few experimental shots at the Easter Vigil. This one was in sepia...

2014-04-19 20.35.14-1

And I thought the vintage setting looked rather good, muting the yellow gold of the vestments...

2014-04-19 20.32.12-1

2014-04-19 21.57.44-1

The original photos, as well as a few other edited ones can be seen on my Flickr pages for Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil, so do go and have a look, and tell me what you think in the com box...

6 comments:

Zephyrinus said...

Dear Mac. What a magnificent set of photos.
You are really on to something, here.

There are thousand of Blogs and thousands of photos
on the Internet. But you are the ONLY one to publish
these stunning photos.

I predict that MULIER FORTIS will become
the new HELLO !!!

Keep up the excellent work and continue to find
out more about the tweaking effects available on
your spiffing new camera.

Meanwhile, a Very Happy Easter to you and all your Readers.

Mulier Fortis said...

Thank you for the compliment, but to say I'm the only one posting photos is a slight exaggeration, Zephy darling... ;-)

vetusta ecclesia said...

The "pencil" photos remind me of PF Anson's illustrations to his works.

As we see black vestments for GF and a cope for the Vigil do I take it that you had the ex. form on these days?

Mulier Fortis said...

No, Good Friday had red vestments (NO) - it's the editing setting which makes them look black... and the cope can be (and was) used for the NO vigil...

Seattle Bill said...

What sketch program are you using? I can't find one that lets me change the background color?

Mulier Fortis said...

Bill, it's the photo-editing software on my mobile phone. It was pre-loaded, so Samsung's own stuff...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...