Thursday 12 April 2012

The Easter Vigil At Blackfen...

IMG_20120407_203053The Easter Vigil is always a very beautiful service. There is something very special about coming into the dark church and gradually watching it light up with more and more candles lit from the Paschal candle. Having the readings from the Old Testament by candlelight is a bit of a challenge for the readers... But then, at the Gloria, the bells which have been silent since Maundy Thursday ring out, and the organ starts up, and the first Mass of Easter starts.

There is something tremendously encouraging about the welcoming of new members into the Church - this year we had two baptisms and one reception...

IMG_20120407_213405

I love the Vigil. There is a building excitement, a real sense of anticipation... in fact, I think that if I were to go straight from Good Friday to Easter Sunday, without the Vigil, I'd feel cheated... not least because I'd have to wait even longer to get stuck in to the Easter Eggs!

IMG_20120407_220124

I've taken a few more photos, which you can see on Flickr...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...