Friday 25 March 2011

Happy Lady Day!


Today being a major feast day, I thought I'd celebrate by taking a few photos, as a way of marking it on my blog - I'm still on a go-slow as far as blogging inspiration goes...

The Feast of the Annunciation is one of my favourite feasts, as it happens. And there is something incredibly moving about Mass on this feast day - for today we celebrate the Word made flesh, God entering into his creation at a specific time in history, and, on the altar, the Word again consents to humble himself, and become flesh for us under the appearance of bread and wine...



The genuflection of the priest and servers during the Credo also brought a lump to my throat...


And before Mass we had our usual Lenten Friday devotion of Stations...



Sadly, I didn't quite get to follow Fr. Ray Blake's advice to "eat swan" but I was able to treat myself to a large coca cola after Mass. I had intended to have some chocolate too, but, by the time I remembered that I'd bought it specially, it was too late to eat it, so I shall have to hide it away until Easter...

2 comments:

Genty said...

Wow, Mac. Coca cola and chocolate combined would have sent your pulse rate through the roof. You saved yourself!
No swan for me either, so in a fit of pique I abstained as per Friday. However, I did scoff a small bag of M*lt*s*rs.
Super pics of Stations and a good turn-out. It's one of my favourite devotions and it's one of the least mucked about.
I'm very fond of Marian feast days, too. Nowadays they tend to be bitter-sweet as one of my greatest friends died on the Annunciation and my Dad died on the Assumption. But for them it could hardly have been better than to lie in the arms of Our Lady.

Mulier Fortis said...

Genty, normally I go through enormous amounts of coca cola... I have been known to drink three or four pints of the stuff in an evening in the club... and it never keeps me awake.

Sorry to hear about your painful associations with two such wonderful feasts... prayers for all of you!

And yes, the observance of Stations is wonderful at Blackfen - the traditional meditations according to St. Alphonsus feature heavily!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...