Sunday 19 April 2009

Quasimodo Sunday...

Masses were often referred to by the first words of the Introit, hence Laetare Sunday in Lent, Gaudete Sunday in Advent, a Requiem Mass (from Requiem in aeternum...) and so on.

I noted, many years ago when I read the book (and well before I knew about such things as Introits) that the hunchback of Notre Dame was named for the day he was found on the steps of the Cathedral.

Typing out the Rossini propers for the choir, I noted that today is, in addition to being called Low Sunday and Divine Mercy Sunday, also Quasi modo Sunday.

Quasi modo geniti infantes, alleluia: rationabiles sine dolo lac concupiscite, alleluia, alleluia.
As newborn babes, alleluia: desire the rational milk without guile, alleluia, alleluia.

(Any problems with the translation, blame my St. Andrew's Missal... though I'd dearly love to know what the rational milk is... )

Anyway, I went for a wander through You Tube, and discovered this wonderful gem...


6 comments:

Volpius Leonius said...

The rational milk is referring to knowledge of the Faith.

leutgeb said...

I must admit I did do a double take whilst singing it!

Patricius said...

If you are campaigning for the restoration of the introit count me in!

Mulier Fortis said...

Patricius, we already have the Introit... it's sung by the choir (according to the Rossini propers at the moment) as Fr. Tim says the preparatory prayers at the foot of the altar...

;-P

Patricius said...

Mac, you are very fortunate. In most churches where I have been at mass, and I have no objection to the Ordinary Form as such, the option of a "hymn" is invariably taken. I think this an impoverishment.

Mulier Fortis said...

Ummmmm... Patricius, it's actually Mass in the Extraordinary Form (which makes me even more fortunate!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...