Saturday 11 October 2008

Solemn High Mass...

I'm still trying to catch up with a backlog of bloggable items!

Tuesday was the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, our parish's patronal feast.  The statue of Our Lady was duly dressed and her altar adorned with flowers, and there was a special Mass celebrated in the evening.  I was delighted that the set of books I had to mark before leaving work was for a small class of only 20 or so students, so I was able to escape early at 5:00pm... just as well, as I had been asked to organise a few bottles of wine and some nibbles for after the Mass.

Dr. Lawrence Hemming was deacon, and Fr. Charles Briggs was sub-deacon, and we had a cohort of our regular servers, as well as the schola which visits us on the first Saturday of the month for our regular Missa Cantata. I bagsied my favourite pew, and took a few photos.  I was aware that I'd gone slightly overboard on the previous Saturday (well, ok, 17 minutes' worth of footage, with a photo duration of 2 seconds, suggests that maybe I had gone more than slightly overboard...) so I was rather more restrained.  I did, however, manage to get some of my favourite points:

Blessing of the sub-deacon before the Gospel:

Incensing the gifts:

The Consecration - first genuflection:

The Consecration - Elevation of the Host:

The Consecration - second genuflection:

It was a magnificent occasion, and well worth making the effort to attend: Solemn High Masses, unfortunately, do not happen every day...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...