Thursday 26 June 2008

Lager and Ale...

I am not keen on Real Ale. I have been known to drink it, when it was the only option, but I'm definitely not an aficionado. I associate the stuff with the comic book "Asterix in Britain" where Asterix and Obelix are horrified to discover that the locals drink warm beer and eat boiled meat, both considered to be culinary atrocities. A very funny book... and, being brought up in a family of (semi-European) wine and spirits consumers, I hadn't realised how much warm beer was part of the national stereotype.

Now I know better. All the traddies in my parish are into Real Ale. They are quite scathing about lager, and Jonathan actually nicknamed the brew "Novus Ordo Eurofizz" to demonstrate his contempt for the stuff... a name which has caught on. The parish club has been persuaded to get in a supply of Real Ale on tap, as well as the bottled variety.

Curiously, there is a special blessing, in the Old Rite, for beer... I believe that Fr. Tim is waiting for the most opportune moment, and I shall endeavour to capture the occasion for posterity (and the blogosphere!)

Anyway, it seems that Real Ale is having a bit of a resurgence in popularity, and not just in our club. The Daily Telegraph has more on the boom in Real Ale sales HERE.

2 comments:

gemoftheocean said...


"...that the locals drink warm beer and eat boiled meat, both considered to be culinary atrocities....


"CONSIDERED?" "C*O*N*S*I*D*E*R*E*D?!"

I'll allow the beer in England might be a tad warm but in your case you might need that to warm you up...but yes, BOILED meat is an abomination unto the Lord!

What constitutes an Irish 7 course meal? A boiled potato and a six-pack.....

Anonymous said...

For us real ale fans now is a joyous time as we've never had so much choice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...