Saturday 30 June 2007

A Vast Improvement

If you have been reading my blog, you'll realise that I had a rather unfortunate birthday. I am very good at offering my troubles up after the event, but haven't quite reached the stage where I can cheerfully embrace a bad day as a gift from God and a superb opportunity to get some poor soul out of Purgatory. I'm working on it...

Whenever I feel a little low, I get the urge to do something with my hair. I also get the urge to do something with my hair when I'm feeling particularly cheerful, so you can't read too much into it. Yesterday was a better day than my birthday, but fairly stressful as I had to spend a fair bit of time dealing with the fallout from the previous day. This morning was pretty much back to a normal Saturday for me, but, when I happened to notice the relative lack of activity in the hairdressers (the one next to the shop where I was buying more catfood for Sylvester to throw up again over my computer), I decided that I needed to do something to my hair... or rather, I needed someone else to do it for me...

I think my hairdresser must have been in-training. I like trainee hairdressers: they are a lot more careful, and also far less sure that they know exactly what style and colour would suit madam (and so they are far more likely to listen to what you have to say on the matter!) Anyway, the mentor came over and had a look at my hair, and then the three of us had an in-depth discussion of how golden-yellow-straw was not acceptable as a hair colour, and so it would be avoided by various means (lots of bleach) with a graduated application to blend the shades...

They had a new manicurist who offered a free manicure and polish while I was waiting for the colour to develop (I have to go and remove the nailvarnish from my fingers in a minute, but she meant well) and then a very junior trainee washed the gunk off my head. Then back to the first trainee. I tried to keep my eyes closed at this point - when wet, my hair looks a ghastly shade of yellow at the best of times - but my hairdresser wanted reassurance, so I tried not to grimace at my reflection. She did, however, cut superbly, and when my hair was dried I was very pleased with the overall result.

I still hate having my picture taken though, so I'm afraid that you'll just have to imagine what it looks like...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Ack, sorry meant to attach post to THIS blog, not the prev.)

Just grab a hunk of hair and take a picture....you only waste a few billion electrons...
See?
Gazillions of marks/yens/bucks/pounds spent so women across the globe can share their hair colors...nothing ventured...Next: pamper yourself the rest of the day by musing what it would be like to become Queen for a Day!

a thorn in the pew said...

You crack me up! I know the feeling at the hairdresser. It is nervewracking not knowing how it will turn out.

Mulier Fortis said...

Heheheh... Karen, I did manage to get a shot of my head in daylight... I'll try and edit it for blogosphere consumption and edification (and possibly a good laugh!)

Anonymous said...

I loved your bday post. IT made me instantly reach for my camera and try it. I never knew until yesterday that my hair up close and blurry was roughly the color of a roasted thanksgiving turkey. Who knew? I should try photoshopping it...you know....pixillated or watercolor effect, blah, blah...I could waste a good hour on that...I *should* be clearing out my spare bedroom, (which looks as if Satan himself had been in there throwing things around after an unsuccessful attempt to exorcise him from the place) so that I can paint it...but no.... wait...I can't stand it...here's what it looks like in mosaic tile. Trippy, no? Now look what you've done, you've created a monster. I know...we could set up a joint international business venture in the Cayman Islands..we could sell our designs to tile manufacturers and call it "Lay-de-Tiles, Mon." [okay, boo-hiss...it was just a thought!]

Mulier Fortis said...

Karen, cool hair colour!

As for creating a monster, Newhousenewjob accuses me of leading her astray into blogging in the first place...

...I forsee a lot of time in the freezers of Purgatory!

Anonymous said...

Mac --- lead me not into temptation re: blogging. I am already such a computer geek. [I scored 90% on the computer geeks test....I've been using them since 1980...I just missed the punch card age, but ONLY "just" -- there was still a card reader in the computer lab.]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...