Sunday 3 June 2007

Euro Traveller

It was interesting to note the different treatment meted out to the Club Class and the Euro Traveller passengers on British Airways. One thing I hadn't realised was that the division between the two is movable, so if there aren't many people prepared to pay the extra £70 (each way), then the remaining seats aren't left empty (well, you can't have the plebs mixing with the rich people!)

On my return journey from Toulouse, I was sitting near the divider, and could see through the curtain. The Club Class seats looked to be a little more roomy, but the divider was quite close to the front of the plane... and my own seat was certainly more roomy than the one I had on the outward journey... and no, I hadn't lost any weight, so I suspect the seat was meant for Club Class!

The two classes each got a complimentary drink (Club Class may have had more than one, I couldn't tell) and obviously the wine on offer was pretty much the same. But I noticed that Club Class had their tea made in a proper teapot, whereas the riff-raff in Euro Traveller Class got plastic cups with teabag. Club Class also got a proper meal. Euro Travellers didn't: we got a choice between a small cookie or a bag of seeds and nuts. Personally I'd have preferred a packet of crisps...

The bag of seeds and nuts did, however, also come with built-in entertainment...

The front of the packet said: "Sky Bites Gold: Delicious premium mix of crunchy bites, fruits and seeds" with the added instruction to: "fly. nibble. enjoy."

The back of the packet described the contents in a less appetising manner, the most confusing bit being where raisins (25%) had the added note that they contain vegetable oil... Of course, the pack came with the obligatory warning: "May contain traces of seeds and nuts."

You really couldn't make this stuff up...

3 comments:

antonia said...

hehe! riff-raff!

Anonymous said...

My cousin's a captain with British Airways! i'll have a chat with him...

Ttony said...

Club Class in Europe isn't really about the plane, though you only sit two abreast instead of three, and the food and drink is better (incidentally, you can ask for as many refills as you like in either cabin). Club class is really about being able to use the lounges at the airport and avoiding the scrum of humanity, particularly at airports like Heathrow. If I'm going somewhere on business, and likely or not starting as soon as I land at my destination, I don't want the "two hours hanging about expensive shops and cafes" experience. Fast track to check in, fast track through security, and then a quiet peaceful lounge and a call to the plane twenty minutes before take off.

Travelling Intercontinental is when Club Class comes into its own: the luxury of your own tiny cabin with a 6' 6" flat bed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...