Friday 10 August 2012

Saint Philomena...

I was delighted to hear from Fr. Tim that we will have a votive Mass in honour of St. Philomena tomorrow, her feast day.

I have a devotion to St. Philomena because there is something contrary about her which appeals to me - it's the same quirk in my nature which makes me prefer St. Teresa of Avila's slightly ascerbic style to the more sugary-sweet approach of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. I imagine St. Philomena to be thumbing her nose at the modernists and sceptics as she works miracles for those who turn to her, despite the cries of those who claim that she never existed.

If you want to find out more about the discovery of her relics and the establishing of devotion to the saint, check out the Living Rosary page about her.

3 comments:

Supertradmum said...

I have several friends with great devotion to her and the girl kneeling next to me at my Confirmation took her name. I thought that was so cool, as my choice was simply Rose of Lima. That was a long time ago, in 1961, before you were born. Then, there were many churches in her name, but,sadly in America, she was degraded, taken off the calendar and the churches had the names changed. I know the story of her relics. The nuns were very fond of her.

Join me in asking her, "the wonder-worker" for a miracle for me-a big one. If it happens, I shall tell you. Hi to the cats...

motuproprio said...

Will His Hermeneuticalness be blessing St Philomena's cords?

Mulier Fortis said...

Supertradmum - I'll pray to her for you, you pray to her for me... and the kitty cats say hallo to you too!

Motuproprio - no, it was just a votive Mass (EF), as part of our regular Saturday morning devotions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...