Monday 27 February 2012

Just Back...

I'm just winding down after the really wonderful Mass at St. Mary Magdalen's, Brighton (Fr. Ray Blake's parish), this evening. The bun fight in the hall afterwards was pretty impressive as well.

I enjoyed hearing the new composition of Tu es Petrus, but must confess that I preferred the one by James MacMillan. MacMillan's version was reminiscent of the victorious Church - the Church Triumphant - "You are Peter, and on this rock, etc." (at least it was for me, but I'm a musical ignoramus.) I thought that the setting tonight was filled with the terrifying and awe-ful (as well as awful) responsibility which accompanies the office of Pope. MacMillan's piece made me think "Yay! Pope Benedict!" whereas tonight's piece sent shivers down my spine and made me think "Oh, no... poor Pope Benedict!"

I've taken a few more photos, and will try to load them later in the week.

The only disappointment of the evening for me - Genty came and said hallo, but I was conscious of not wanting to disturb people around us. Unfortunately, in the crush, I lost contact... hopefully we can have a chat at the next Bloggers' event!

2 comments:

gemoftheocean said...

Bun fight? they wouldn't have made it out alive had my grandmother been there!!!

Genty said...

Fabulous Mass at my old baptismal church. It was just like the olden days . . . .
Sorry we didn't connect afterwards. Don't think I'm one of the church chatterers (!). I wanted to say hello in case there wasn't a chance later, as it proved. I scanned the bunfight but couldn't get past the door so toddled off. Another time, I hope.
I thought Tom Bennett's "Tu es Petrus" had shades of Weir. One to watch, I think. I am thrilled that so many young composers are drawn to the liturgy. That, if anything, proves its timelessness. Hooray!
By the way, that Fr. F is a piece of work. A natural-born bish if ever I saw one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...