Friday 4 December 2009

Archbishop McDonald Resigns...

Breaking news for the Archdiocese of Southwark:

At 11:00 am (GMT) on Friday, 4th December 2009, The Holy Father accepted the resignation of Archbishop Kevin McDonald of Southwark in accordance with Canon 401 §2.

The Archbishop submitted his resignation to the Holy Father having taken account of medical advice.

The Archbishop has had a triple heart bypass and also suffers from severe osteoarthritis. This has already necessitated surgery and the Archbishop envisages further surgery in 2010.

"I feel great sadness at having to relinquish my post as Archbishop of Southwark. Although I have had to contend with illness over the last three years, this appointment has been a great grace. It has been a privilege to lead this great Diocese and I have received a wonderful response to everything I have tried to do. I have also been very appreciative of the prayers of so many people while I have been ill. The Diocese will continue to be very much in my thoughts and prayers in the time ahead."

A Diocesan Administrator will be appointed soon and he will be in charge of the Diocese, until a new Archbishop takes possession of the Diocese.

The Archbishop's resignation letter can be seen here.

I guess PaddyPower will be featuring again as speculation among the UK bloggers is bandied around! In the meantime, one wonders who will be appointed as Administrator.

Heheheheheheh... Blog campaign: His Hermeneuticalness for Archbishop!!

On a more serious note, I am sure everyone will join in offering prayers for Archbishop McDonald's speedy recovery.

Twitch of the mantilla to Fr. John Boyle.

5 comments:

George said...

'Heheheheheheh... Blog campaign: His Hermeneuticalness for Archbishop!!'

Wot??? - and lose him as PP at Blackfen - call me selfish but - NO WAY!!!!!!

Mark said...

Mac:

"Blog campaign: His Hermeneuticalness for Archbishop!!"

The very thought entered my head when I saw the news, not that I wanted to crow over your Archbishop's health problems.

I guess people all thinking that way shows what high regard Fr Tim is held in.

Anonymous said...

His Hermeneuticalness for Archbishop!!


Sounds good to me.

Jane said...

Jane to Mark M:

ditto thoughts ever since I read the news!

George said...

Prayers for Archbishop Kevin are warranted so that he may be restored to health and continue to 'fight the good fight' in whatever capacity he feels capable.

St Raphael - Medicine of God - intercede for our good Archbishop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...